Welcome to Veteran’s Day Weekend in Beautiful Santa Barbara!
The Select Staffing Santa Barbara International Veterans Marathon is thrilled to honor all veterans this Veteran’s Day weekend, November 9, 2013!
Wounded Warrior Award Category in each event. Any Veteran wounded in action may choose this category.
Participants in the marathon are invited to join veterans and other members of the community to enjoy much more than just Santa Barbara’s stunning waterfront, the Queen of the Missions, and downtown State Street activities.
Here’s what we have planned to honor our veterans during and immediately after the race:
· A Color Guard and fly over of WWII war planes, along with a live rendition of the reveille and “Charge,” will kick off both the full and half-marathons.
· Flags held by both veterans and active duty personnel will line the final mile of the course, the SBIM Veteran’s Memorial Mile Finish.
· An authentic World War II Jeep will escort Marathon runners.
· During the awards ceremony, the Color Guard will present the Wounded Warrior awards.
Post-race activities honoring veterans will continue into the evening and the next day:
· At 5:00 p.m., the 18th Annual Military Ball will be held at Fess Parker’s DoubleTree Resort. This beautiful black tie event features a cocktail hour, gourmet dinner, keynote speaker, and swing dancing. All branches of the military will be represented by both veterans and active duty personnel, with special emphasis going to the US Marine Corps for their 238th anniversary. Please go to http://pierreclaeyssensveteransmuseum.com/ or call (805) 966-1660 to request an invitation. Tickets are $125/person, but many “scholarships” are available for veterans and active duty personnel on fixed incomes.
· On Sunday, November 10, 2013, the Veteran’s Day Parade begins at 12:30 from the corner of Sola and State Streets, marching down to Cabrillo Blvd. The parade will include numerous marching units, military vehicles from WWI through Afghanistan, bands, and a fly over. A bar-b-que lunch will be available at the end of the parade.
Join us in honoring all of our US Military, past and present, and have a great time doing it!